Maintaining menstrual health is essential throughout the year, but during summer, it becomes especially crucial as sweating can increase the risk of infections and irritation in the genital area.
During summer, it is essential to take extra precautions to maintain menstrual health. Staying hydrated is crucial to prevent dehydration, which can worsen menstrual symptoms. Wearing loose-fitting, breathable clothing can help reduce discomfort and prevent skin irritation. Additionally, using menstrual hygiene products appropriate for the flow level and changing them regularly can prevent infections and odor.
It is also essential to practice menstrual health and hygiene during periods. Changing cloth period pads, tampons, menstrual cups, or period underwear frequently can prevent the growth of bacteria and reduce the risk of infections. Continue reading as this article by Care for Child will help you get menstrual health awareness by learning more about menstrual hygiene, what are menstrual hygiene tips, and how to maintain good menstrual health and hygiene during summer.
What Is Menstrual Hygiene?
Menstrual hygiene refers to the practices and measures taken to ensure clean, safe, and healthy management of menstrual bleeding. It involves the use of appropriate menstrual products, such as pads, tampons, menstrual cups, or cloth pads, and the maintenance of good menstrual hygiene practices, such as washing hands before and after changing products and changing products regularly.
Good menstrual hygiene is essential for the physical, social, and emotional well-being of individuals. At the same time, poor menstrual hygiene can lead to various health problems, including infections, rashes, and unpleasant odors.
Therefore, it is vital to promote menstrual hygiene awareness and provide access to menstrual products and facilities to ensure individuals can manage their menstrual bleeding safely and comfortably.
5 Menstrual Hygiene Tips To Follow During Summers
Here are five menstrual hygiene tips for maintaining good menstrual health during summer:
1. Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is essential during summer to prevent dehydration, which can exacerbate menstrual symptoms. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily to stay hydrated.
2. Use Breathable Menstrual Products: Choose menstrual products made of breathable materials, such as cotton, to reduce the risk of infections and skin irritation. Avoid using plastic-backed pads or tampons, which can trap heat and moisture, making you more prone to infections.
Cloth pads composed of natural fabrics are entirely safe, healthy, and stress-free for your body and the environment. Period cloth pads like SuperBottoms Flow lock cloth pads provide 2x more absorption vs. ordinary cloth pads, with a super secure leak lock for absolutely zero leaks.
3. Change Menstrual Products Regularly: Change your menstrual products regularly, at least every 4-6 hours, to prevent the growth of bacteria and reduce the risk of infections. Use appropriate products for the level of flow to avoid leaks and discomfort.
4. Practice Good Hygiene: Wash your hands before and after changing menstrual products to prevent the spread of germs. Use mild, unscented soap to clean the vaginal area, and avoid using douches or harsh soaps, which can disrupt the natural pH balance and increase the risk of infections.
5. Manage Menstrual Symptoms: Take steps to manage menstrual-related symptoms, such as cramps, bloating, and fatigue. Exercise, heat therapy, and over-the-counter pain relievers can help reduce pain and discomfort. Additionally, practicing relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or yoga, can help reduce stress and anxiety.
By following these tips, you can maintain good menstrual health during summer and reduce the risk of infections, discomfort, and other related issues.
Things To Consider While Selecting The Right Reusable Menstrual Essentials
Selecting the right reusable menstrual products to maintain menstrual hygiene is essential to ensure comfort, convenience, and safety. Here are some things to consider while choosing the right reusable menstrual essentials:
1. Material: Choose menstrual hygiene products made of high-quality, non-toxic, and eco-friendly materials, such as medical-grade silicone, organic cotton, or bamboo fiber. Ensure the fabric is soft, comfortable, and breathable to prevent irritation and infection.
2. Absorbency: Select menstrual health products with the right level of absorbency for your flow. Most reusable menstrual products come in different absorbency levels, such as light, medium, and heavy flow. It is important to choose the right absorbency level to prevent leaks and discomfort.
MaxAbsorb Period Underwear by SuperBottoms is thoughtfully created as the ‘Most Absorbent’ reusable period underwear, with four layers of premium cotton, bamboo, and lycra fabric that ensures 8-10 hours of dry comfort and no leaks.
It is a sustainable menstrual hygiene product that comes as an innovative, comfortable, and hassle-free replacement for wearing extras like sanitary pads, tampons, or menstrual cups during your period.
3. Size and Fit: Choose menstrual hygiene products that are the right size and fit for your body. Menstrual cups and period pants come in a variety of sizes, so before you buy, take a look at the size chart on the website. By choosing the correct size, you can ensure comfort and avoid leaks. Cloth pads should also fit well and have wings that snap around the underwear to prevent movement and leaks.
4. Ease of Use and Maintenance: Select menstrual products that are easy to use and maintain. Menstrual cups and period panties require regular cleaning and sanitization, while cloth pads can be washed in a washing machine. Consider the level of convenience and maintenance needed before choosing a menstrual product.
5. Cost-effectiveness: Reusable menstrual health and hygiene products can be a cost-effective alternative to disposable products in the long run. Consider the initial cost of the product and the frequency of replacement before making a purchase online.
By considering these factors, you can select the right reusable menstrual essentials that are safe, comfortable, and convenient for your menstrual needs.
Menstruation during summer can exacerbate discomfort and increase the risk of infections, such as bacterial vaginosis and yeast infections. Therefore, it is essential to maintain good menstrual health awareness and vaginal health during summers by wearing loose-fitting, breathable clothing, changing out of wet clothes as soon as possible, practicing good hygiene, avoiding douching or using harsh soaps, and staying hydrated. If any symptoms occur, it is essential to consult with a healthcare provider to determine the cause and appropriate treatment.